This month – July! – feeling blue is a good thing because it’s National Blueberry Month! If you’ve seen crops of pictures rolling through your Facebook feed of families with their fresh blueberry pickings at farms throughout the area, you may have already know that.
- But did you know these interesting bits about blueberries?
- Blueberries would take the silver medal in the U.S. berry crop Olympics (coming in just behind Strawberries) harvesting approximately 570 million pounds of blueberries every year.
- The blueberry bush grows in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, and is a relative of the rhododendron and the azalea.
- After many years of research on blueberry antioxidants and their potential benefits for the nervous system and for brain health, there is exciting new evidence that blueberries can even improve memory.
- It’s also been discovered that blueberries have a favorable impact on blood sugar regulation in persons already diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
- Blueberries make a great snack having only 84 calories per cup; delicious AND healthy, it’s win-win!
- Here’s an at home-craft to do sometime – did you know that early American colonists made grey paint by boiling blueberries in milk?!
And here’s our favorite blueberry DID YOU KNOW: did you know you can pop into Kelsick today to satisfy your hankering for the blues? At Kelsick Specialty Market we have several blueberry indulgences you can find right now to enjoy today or save for later date!
Stop by to grab some fresh homemade blueberry scones baked right here in the Kelsick kitchen, decadent dark chocolate covered organic blueberries, refreshing blueberry ale or wild Maine blueberry jam.